| Friday, January 06, 2006 |
| 3.16.5 cont. |
Me Continued...So yeah, life was pretty rough. We went hungry a lot. My dad seemed to think his needs were more important. Not seemed, did think. I remember sitting up waiting on him to come home one time to eat. At 2 in the morning he waltzes in with nothing but a radio he won gambling the money that was to go for food. I remember a meal that to this day is fondly thought of as my best meal. We had some flour, cornmeal, lard, and an egg. My mother made us some water gravy and cornbread and boy did it ever taste good! One time when I was 8, my mother was pregnant with my youngest sister and my dad came home in the middle of the day and took her down stairs to the basement and started beating her. Us kids watched thru an old heat register as he did this. I just knew he would kill her this time. He kept banging her head into a steel pole and then the concrete floor. He finally left and I ran down to her. She was laying there unconcious and I thought she was gone. I kept hollering at her and she did come around a bit. She was crying for her momma and didn''t even know us kids. I got her upstairs and got the kids calmed down. She laid on the couch for a long time asleep. We were very quiet. I was shaking so bad. I, to this day, remember exactly what she was wearing. Isn''t it funny the things you forget and the things you vividly remember? My mother finally came around again and she knew exactly where she was and who we were. I was so happy, but she still couldn''t take care of us, so that was my job, as usual. I always assumed the responsibilities at those times. My father when he returned was a typical abuser. Soooooo sorry. I know now that my dad wanted my mom to have an abortion and she wouldn''t, I bet that is why he did what he did tho my mom has no idea. He would come in in the middle of the night and if he didn''t have a hot meal on the table, at let''s say closing time?, he would fight her. We lived in St. Louis and couldn''t even lock our doors. Oh, he had a key, but he didn''t want to bother with it at 2 or 3 in the morning. My mother got beat one time for accidentally locking the door. One time she got beat because the food she had for him was not hot enough. He threw everything at the wall too. We all lived in fear. He seemed to be especially hard on my brother just under me. I recall an incident when my dad got my brother, who was 7 at the time, got him in the floor and choked him until he quit breathing. My mother got him off of him and got my brother breathing again. I cannot remember why he did this but I can tell you that most times there just was no reason. To be continued. March 16, 2005 11:55 PM |
posted by Teressa @ 11:32 AM  |
|
|
|
|